Saturday, April 26, 2008

Sweet Jason

Two days ago was the anniversary of my nephew Christopher' death. He would have been 24 this year. I called Sherry and her family to let them know I was thinking of them. She had some visitors staying with them (a less active LDS family from Australia, who, sadly, have two small children with the same rare form of Muscular Dystrophy as Sherry's kids) so I was unable to speak to her. I talked to Bill for a few minutes and asked him if I could talk to 20 year old Jason. When he got on the phone I told him how sorry I was he had lost his brother. We chatted about how difficult it has been for him to lose his 2 siblings. He stated as time goes by he is starting to forget them. We talked a little about death and I said something like "don't you think about going anywhere!" He replied, "I don't plan to go anywhere any time soon." And then with all the sincerity he could muster added, "But if I do Christy, I want you to know how much I love you!" He told me how grateful he was that I had always been there for his family. He said he would never forget when I came to California to help out when he and Chris had their surgeries. He said nobody had ever done that for them. Needless to say, I told him through my sniffles and tears how much I loved him. It was a very sweet moment I will always cherish.

No comments: